Columns Layout = 2
Choosing Einstein is Choosing Excellence
The Nurse Residency Program (NRP) is a 12-month program at Einstein Medical Center Philadelphia. The NRP is designed to provide a robust, evidence-based curriculum that supports nursing graduates as they transition from advanced learner to competent leaders at the bedside. Our NRP nurses receive a variety of individual supports as they navigate into their professional role.
Einstein has partnered with the nationally elite Vizient/AACN Nurse Residency Program™ and the Pennsylvania Nurse Residency Collaborative to offer this distinguished program. Einstein is currently in the process of seeking accreditation by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).
The NRP program follows a detailed curriculum focusing on:
- Transitioning newly-graduated nurses from the role of an advanced learner to a competent and caring nurse
- Developing clinical nursing leadership abilities to include critical thinking, prioritization, and delegation
- Developing inter-professional collaboration and networking
- Developing a knowledge base to support excellence in care delivery, positive patient outcomes, and increasing patient safety efforts
Through the program the nurse resident will:
- Make the transition from advanced beginner nurse toward competent nurse
- Develop effective decision-making skills related to clinical judgment and safety in the healthcare environment
- Provide clinical nursing leadership, in conjunction with the interprofessional team, at the point of care
- Strengthen commitment to the profession of nursing
- Increase engagement in the healthcare organization and profession
- Incorporate evidence-based practice to inform decision-making at the point of care
Nurses in the program are employees of Einstein Medical Center, now a part of Jefferson Health System. Leadership and oversight of the Nurse Residency Program is provided by the department of Nursing Education and Professional Development (NEPD).
Leadership and oversight for the Nurse Residency Program is provided by the department of Nursing Education and Professional Development (NEPD).
Nurse Residency Coordinator: Kate Weymers, MSN Ed./Adm, RN
Any nurse hired at Einstein who meets the eligibility criteria will automatically be enrolled into the Nurse Residency Program (NRP). There is no formal application process to enter the NRP. The NRP is in addition to formal organizational orientation activities.
Criteria to be enrolled in NRP at Einstein:
- Secure employment at Einstein
- Registered nurses that are new graduates in their first nursing role
- Hold a valid PA nursing license
The Program is available at the following Einstein Healthcare Network locations:
Nurse Resident expectations include:
- Participation in monthly educational seminars and learning activities
- Completion of an evidence-based practice (EBP) project*
- Completion of program evaluation and survey tools
*Here are some examples of our residents who have created EBP projects and presented nationally:
Download the Nursing Residency Program Brochure