Programs & Specialties
Electrophysiology is the field of cardiology devoted to the treatment of irregular heartbeats and arrhythmias. The Electrophysiology Program at Einstein is one of the area's best programs. We are the only program in Philadelphia recognized as a Program of Excellence by the American College of Cardiology (ACC). The program has a long, rich history of treating and curing all types of arrhythmias including supraventricular tachycardia, atrial flutter, atrial fibrillation and ventricular tachycardia.
What does Einstein offer?
- A range of diagnostic tools and treatments including medications
- Devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators
- Ablation procedures
Learn more about treating arrhythmia with electrophysiology at Einstein and when you should request an appointment:
Like the circuitry in a house, your heart has an electrical system that causes it to beat. When the system is damaged or sick, the heart can slow down, speed up, or short circuit, a condition called an arrhythmia. Sometimes these problems are genetic or inherited, passed down from family members.
Patients with arrhythmias may have symptoms of fainting, feeling of a racing heart known as palpitations, chest pain, shortness of breath, unexpected tiredness or fatigue, a history of treated cardiac arrest or no symptoms at all. Other times there may be a family history of these conditions that cause concern. It is possible someone may be told they have an arrhythmia based on a routine physical examination or EKG.
Arrhythmia symptoms include:
- Racing heart
- Heart palpitations
- Passing out unexpectedly
- Lightheadness or dizziness
- Shortness of breath
- Unexpected fatigue
- Stroke or “mini-stroke” (known as a transient ischemic attack)
- Heart failure
Irregular heartbeats and arrhythmias have many causes. Sometimes they are inherited. More frequently they are associated with other heart or medical conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, stroke, heart attacks and heart failure. Often they can represent a more serious problem. Arrhythmias are the number one killer in the United States, above heart attacks, stroke and cancer. They are also the number one cause of preventable stroke.
Einstein offers the latest, cutting-edge treatments to diagnose, control and even cure arrhythmias. Treatments offered at Einstein include medications, implantation of devices such as pacemakers or implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICDs) or catheter ablation procedures.
Below is a list of some of the procedures and devices offered by Einstein Electrophysiology:
- Catheter ablation for atrial fibrillation (AFIB), atrial flutter, supraventricular tachycardia, ventricular tachycardia
- Pacemaker implantation including the Micra Leadless Pacemaker
- Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) implantation including the subcutaneous ICD
- Biventricular ICD or Pacemaker implantation for heart failure
- Watchman left atrial appendage (LAAO) occlusion/closure for stroke reduction in atrial fibrillation
- CardioMems implantation for treatment of heart failure
- Implantable loop recorder implantation
- Device removal (extraction)
The Einstein Electrophysiology Team understands the stress that heart disease causes to patients and their loved ones. We aim to provide the best care possible in the most compassionate way.
The Einstein Electrophysiology Program is one of the busiest, most advanced programs in the region. We are one of the only centers in the country, and the only center in Philadelphia, to be recognized as a Center of Excellence by the American College of Cardiology. Our physicians like to be at the forefront of all new technologies and treatments so our patients know they are getting the best and most advanced care.
Our doctors have been recognized as Top Physicians by Philadelphia Magazine and US News and World Reports for many years running and are leaders in the field, often teaching other physicians how to perform new procedures and use new technologies. We offer the most advanced and modern electrophysiology laboratories in the area.
In the past we have been had notable firsts or distinctions:
- The first center in Philadelphia to offer low x-ray or no x-ray ablation procedures
- The only center utilizing 3D printing to improve the safety, efficiency and efficacy of procedures
- The first center in the region to utilize force-sensing catheters during ablation
- The first center in the region to utilize quadripolar pacing for heart failure pacing
- The first center in the region to utilize CardioMems for the treatment of heart failure
- And many more
Request an Appointment
If you are experiencing symptoms of heart and vascular disease such as chest pain or discomfort, fatigue or weakness, shortness of breath, irregular heartbeat, swelling of the legs, feet or ankles, dizziness or lightheadedness, have a family history, or your primary care physician recommends seeing a heart specialist due to high blood pressure, high cholesterol or other condition, schedule an appointment with an Einstein specialist today.
Request an Appointment